Before you start knocking down walls and buying books about wiring, let’s explore the following questions:
- Do you have a clear idea of what you want your project to look like?
- Do you have the time to complete this project?
- Do you know everything you will need (materials, tools, etc.) to complete the project?
- Are you familiar with building codes and the permit process?
- Do you enjoy physical labor?
- Do you have all the tools you will need?
- Do you have the necessary skills for this project? If not, do you have the time and resources to learn these skills?
- Do you know where to purchase the necessary materials?
- What if the project takes longer than originally expected? Are you (and your family) prepared to handle the resulting inconvenience?
- Will you need assistance with this project? If so, who will assist you?
- Do they have the time and skills required for this project?
- What about safety? Do you understand all the safety issues associated with this project?
- Are you familiar with the architecture and structural makeup of your home (i.e., which walls are load bearing and how knocking down one wall will affect the rest of the structure)?
Consider the hidden costs in the time and tools associated with doing it yourself. It is possible that you may actually decrease the value of your house if the result isn’t up to professional standards.
It’s easy to look at the cost of hiring a professional remodeler thinking only about labor and materials. But remember that a professional remodeler offers an important service – years of experience, the right tools, a network of suppliers and subcontractors, an in-depth understanding of building codes, regulations, cost estimating, scheduling, and the latest construction techniques.
Hardin Builders, Inc. has delighted homeowners who have entrusted us to build or remodel their dream home. Our passion is to create distinctive luxury homes that reflect the individual character and lifestyle of each owner. We are committed to making your home-building and remodeling experience rewarding and flawless. It is our goal to be your homebuilder for life.
Have more questions? We’re here to help. Leave a comment or Contact Us.